South Fork Wind
South Fork Wind is the first of three projects off the coast of Block Island to be permitted. Proposed by a 50-50 partnership between Danish developer Ørsted and Eversource, it will produce 132 MW of energy (enough to power 70,000 homes) for New York. South Fork is located 19 miles off the coast of Block Island and consists of 12 turbines reaching 840 feet tall. The project is currently under construction and expects to be operational by the end of 2023.
BOEM issued its Record of Decision for South Fork—the last step of NEPA review—on November 23, 2021. The Town believes this decision was premature. In addition, as part of the Section 106 process, BOEM improperly executed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the developer and various agencies that purports to “resolve” adverse effects on historic properties.
We reviewed the Construction and Operations plan for South Fork, various Historic Resources Visual Analyses and Cumulative Historic Resources Visual Analyses, as well as documentation identifying historic resources and adverse effects. We submitted comments to BOEM on numerous occasions pointing out problems in BOEM’s process, including those we identified in our comments on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement, Final Environmental Impact Statement, findings of adverse effect, technical reports, Record of Decision, Memorandum of Agreement, and Proposed Historic Preservation Treatment Plans. Below you will find copies of the Town’s comments, as well as visualizations and permitting documentation.
Town of New Shoreham and Southeast Lighthouse Foundation Comments on South Fork Wind
- February 8, 2021 Comments on Cumulative Historic Resources Visual Effects Analysis (CHRVEA) for the South Fork Wind Farm
- February 22, 2021 Comments on Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
- March 31, 2021 Comments on Updated Technical Reports
- June 1, 2021 South Fork Wind Farm and South Fork Export Cable Finding of Adverse Effect Response
- June 16, 2021 South Fork Scoping Comments
- September 27, 2021 Comments on revised Finding of Effect and Memorandum of Agreement
- October 4, 2021 Objection to Proposed MOA
- November 8, 2021 Comments on Draft Memorandum of Agreement
- January 7, 2022 Response to Proposed Historic Property Treatment Plans (HPTPs) for South Fork Wind
- March 14 2022 Objection to the proposed Historic Property Treatment Plans (HPTPs) for South Fork Wind
- May 17, 2022 Comments on the Final Historic Preservation Treatment Plan for the Southeast Lighthouse National Historic Landmark
- May 24, 2022 Comments on the Final Historic Preservation Treatment Plan for the Town of New Shoreham
- July 18, 2022 Request for Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement
- November 14, 2022 Letter to BOEM outlining inappropriateness of Historic Property Treatment Plans and repeated failures of consultation in South Fork Wind
- December 12, 2022 Letter to BOEM outlining its failures in the permitting process for South Fork Wind
- South Fork Wind Virtual Meeting Room