Reserve / Seasonal Police Officers
The New Shoreham Police Department is accepting applications for Reserve and Seasonal Police Officers to supplement our year-round police force. These positions are highly flexible and there is no minimum or maximum number of shifts required per week. The shifts are 12 hours (8AM-8PM or 3PM-3AM) and the hourly rate is $45. Housing is provided as needed at no cost to the officer. No additional benefits are included and reserve and seasonal police officers are considered at-will employees.
Reserve and Seasonal Police Officers are sworn in as members of the New Shoreham Police Department and enforce all Rhode Island General Laws, New Shoreham ordinances and must comply with all New Shoreham Police Department rules and regulations.
Qualified applicants must have completed a Rhode Island police academy and be current with their certifications. All applicants are subject to approval by the Rhode Island Police Officers Commission of Standards and Training (POST). Qualified applications must possess a valid driver’s license and be legally able to carry an issued firearm.
Shifts are available immediately and will be filled through Labor Day. To be considered for a position, applicants must submit the following documents:
- Reserve/ Seasonal Police Officer employment application.
- A cover letter that outlines law enforcement experience and training. If retired from a law enforcement agency, please provide date of separation.
The application process will include an interview and background check. A Reserve/ Seasonal Police Officer employment application can be downloaded here.
Community Service Officers Internship Program
The New Shoreham Police Department is no longer accepting applications for the 2022 Community Service Officer (CSO) Internship Program. Please follow NSPD on social media or check this site in 2023 for details about applying for the 2023 season.
The goal of the CSO Internship Program is to provide students interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement with an immersive educational experience with the New Shoreham Police Department.
This is a full-time, paid internship at $18/hour. Housing is provided at no cost for the duration of the program. The Town of New Shoreham is hiring eight (8) Community Service Officers for the 2022 summer season.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducting foot and bicycle patrols of the waterfront area.
- Issuing parking tickets and citations in accordance with local ordinances.
- Aiding citizens requesting assistance and/or information.
- Working with law enforcement to educate the public about alcoholic beverage regulations on the island.
- Reporting statutory and town ordinance violations to the Patrol Shift Supervisor.
- Being knowledgeable about all areas of New Shoreham including business locations, hazardous conditions, roads, and general information about the various attractions on the island.
- Assisting uniformed patrol officers as needed.
- Being alert for conditions that endanger public safety.
This position requires walking, riding a bicycle, or being on foot for the duration of an assigned shift.
The CSO Program will start in late May and will run through Labor Day. To be considered for a position, applicants must submit the following documents:
- A cover letter outlining your interest in the position and any relevant experience you may have
- Community Service Officer employment application
- Proof of current enrollment in a criminal justice-related field
- A list of three references
The application process will include an interview, background check and a review of provided references.
The Town of New Shoreham is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.