Marriage License Information

The Town Clerk's office can issue you a marriage license if you are getting married on Block Island and do not live in Rhode Island or are residents of New Shoreham.

The Town Clerk's office can issue you a marriage license if you are planning a Block Island wedding and both parties live outside the State of Rhode Island. We also issue marriage licenses to residents of New Shoreham. You may obtain your license up to 90 days before the event.


Fill out and email us your wedding worksheet, scans of both parties birth certificates, divorce papers if applicable, and drivers licenses.  We will prepare a draft of your marriage license.  Email to make an appointment to come to Town Hall in person to pick up your marriage license. Both parties must be present to obtain a marriage license. State law requires us to see your original documents before we issue the license, so bring your original documents and a photo identification (driver's license, military identification or passport) with you at that time.

We strongly advise that you provide copies of the required worksheet, birth certificates and other documentation in advance so we may contact you if clarification is needed.

Required Documents


Complete both pages of the worksheet (PDF) and include daytime telephone numbers and email addresses. Sign the original at Town Hall when you obtain your license. We keep the worksheet.

Birth Certificates

We need to see an original or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by a state, county or city. Look for a raised seal. We will return this document to you. We cannot accept a notarized copy, nor a hospital certificate or baptismal certificate.

Other documentation: If this is not your first marriage, you must provide proof of termination of most recent marriage/civil union: either a certified copy of the death certificate, or a copy certified by the Clerk of the Court granting the divorce decree or final dissolution of the previous relationship. This must contain a raised seal. We will return this document to you.


The application fee is $24. Per the State of Rhode Island, the first certified copy requested in person at the counter is $22, but the same document requested through the mail is $25. In either case, additional certified copies ordered at the same time cost $18. We accept checks or cash only.


If possible, submit your paperwork in advance. Please mail or scan and email copies of the worksheet, birth certificates and proof of termination of previous marriage, if any, to:
Town Clerk
P.O. Box 220
Block Island, RI 02807
Email Town Clerk

Wedding Vendors 

The Block Island Chamber of Commerce keeps a list of local members that are wedding vendors and can be reached at 401-466-2982.     

Block Island Chamber 

Block Island Tourism

Wedding Officiants


First Warden Andre Boudreau                                 Second Warden, Sven Risom
cell (401) 487-0422                                                    (401) 932-8510             
American Baptist                                                     Episcopalian
Rev. Peter Preiser                                                     Rev. Eletha Buote-Grieg
Harbor Baptist Church                                               St. Ann's By The Sea
(860) 970-5695                                                          (401) 466-2911
Jewish / Interfaith                                                     Roman Catholic
Sons and Daughter of Ruth                                        Rev. Joseph Protano
(401) 466-2861                                                            (401) 466-5519
Civil Ceremony                                                         Civil Ceremonies
Honorable Richard Kyte                                              Katherine A. Merolla
(401) 954-2705                                                           (401) 739-2900
Rose Ministries                                                         Universal Life Ministries
John Sisto                                                                    Jill Seppa
(401) 466-8986                                                            (401) 654-9960                                                                                                                                       

Local rules and regulations pertaining to weddings:

Please keep in mind the following while you plan your event:

  • Balloons are banned on Block Island
  • Sky lanterns are illegal in Rhode Island
  • A special event license may be necessary if you plan to celebrate your event with more than 75 people. The special event license application must be received 30 days prior to the event. See link to application below.
  • Outdoor music, at monitored, reasonable levels, is allowed until 9 p.m. only
  • Open containers of alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public
  • On public beaches, closed as well as open containers of alcohol are prohibited