Instructions for E-Permitting
Effective April 12, 2021,
All Building Permit Applications must be submitted though the
State of Rhode Island E-Permitting Portal
- Quick Link will direct you to the State of Rhode Island E-Permitting Portal.
- On the E-Permitting Portal, scroll down the "Available Municipal Sites" list and click on Town of New Shoreham Logo
- On Discover Online Services page, click on Building Department
- Click on Permit Applications to select the appropriate permit application for your project. Permit Applications include Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Solar, Sign and Demolition.
- E-Permitting allows you to submit your application, upload/submit attachments, contact us, receive notifications and updates regarding your permit application process, make payments, print your permit and schedule inspections.
- Any work started without the required permit is subject to a $250.00 fee and/or fines as allowed by law
- Inspection requests: Call 401-466-3216 or make a request through the online portal directly from your permit application.
Public Access to Building Department Records
Paper Building files prior to April 12, 2021 can be accessed during the hours of 8 AM -12 PM Monday - Friday in the Building Department. E-Permitting Building Files after April 12, 2021 can be accessed through the State of Rhode Island E-Permitting Portal: State of Rhode Island E-Permitting Portal
- On the E-Permitting Portal, scroll down the "Available Municipal Sites" list and click on Town of New Shoreham Logo, this will bring you to the Discover Online Services page
- Click on Building Department Explore tab
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Search for Records tab
- You can now search for public records by location by typing in the fire number/street address or record number. (Record number example B-21-561 has three parts, a letter for the record type identifier, two digit number for the year and three digit application number)
- The Town's Zoning Ordinance, Land Development and Subdivision Regulations are available on our ClerkBase page.
- For forms applicable to properties in the Historic District, please refer to the Historic District Commission page.